Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm back

It’s being a while since the last entry. Had spent the last week of April in TTSH followed by surgery in mid-June to fix the problem. I’m glad I can finally put the unpleasant episode away for good.

Back to my orchids; as many one of my orchid buddy would say, orchids thrive on a little neglect and people sometimes kill them with TLC. Most of the plants seems to be doing well during the period I was not well. Some of the monopodials in the “dry” spot of the automatic watering system seems dehydrated but others seemed the do pretty well and even started spiking.

These are the plants in bloom today in my garden:
• Den. Dawn Maree (since March)
• Cym. finlaysonium (first time since a buddy gave me the plant)
• V. lamelatta (2 plants)
• Equitant Oncidium Hybrids (4 plants with multiple spikes each)
• Onc. Goldiana
• Hawkesara Lavoe Barst Puanami (since end April)

As most of the plants in bloom are past their prime, I’ll post their pictures the next time they bloom again.

The following are spiking:
• Onc. Golden Anniversary
• Ren. Ikwas (2 plants)
• Ren. Hybrid
• Mokara Saraya Red
• Mokara Zaleha Alsogoff
• Mokara Chark Kuan (3 spikes)
• Rhyncovanda Colmarie
• Den. hybrid (4 plants)
• Cycnodes Wine Delight (3 plants)

I’m really happy to see the Mokaras and Renanthera flowering again. These plants stopped flowering since I re-potted them one and half years ago and some had starting flowering in May and I am beginning to see more now. What a relief.

I have added a link to The Singapore Garden Festival on the right. This will be held in December from 16th to the 25th at Suntec City. NParks and OSSEA jointly organize the show. It’ll occupy both 4th and 6th floor. This is the inaugural show and the Organizers planned to do this every 2 years. Garden and Landscape designs by Top renown designers from UK, Australia, US and Japan will be on display on the 6th floor. 4th floor will be occupied by OSSEA who is holding their Orchid Show. Tickets will be on sale at all SISTIC outlets and at SBG Visitor center. I was told that tickets from SBG would not have the admin fee that SISTIC charges. Click on the link for more information on the garden festival.

2 Comments:

At August 13, 2006, Blogger Mableinsingapore said...

Welcome back! I am glad you are well again. You have a very interesting and informative blog on orchids and I look forward to your postings on orchids as this is one type of flower that I did not have much interest in until I came across your blog. Keep up with the good work.

 
At August 15, 2006, Blogger TH said...

Thank you. Orchids are the type of plants where one can be totally captivated if one gets infected by the fever so much so that in a documentary I watched there is this guy who risks his life to hunt for new species in forest to name in the honor of his granny. He was caught by rebels held captive. After he was released, he returned to the jungle the next opportunity he has to continue his quest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home