Sunday, November 06, 2005

Den. delacourii and formosum

My orchids has been pretty quiet for past 2 weeks. It's just the last traces of the dendrobium blooms. This week, notices couple of surprises this week. Firstly my Den. formosum which has been sulking for 2 years decided to flower. The general condition of the plant is not prime and I hope this is not a last ditch effort.

Also noticed a string of buds from Den. delacourii. This is known to be a "difficult" plant and I have 1 that has not shown any flowers for 3 years. This one in bloom was bought 1.5 years ago full of flowers and there was a second wave immediately after the first. When the anniversary went without a trace I thought I do not have the right condition for this plant. Now that I see buds, let's hope the first plant will respond as well.

Other plants with new spikes are Den. bullenianum, Encylia cochleata, Vanda lamellata and Mokara Saraya Red. The lamellata and Saraya Red are repeat bloom and this would be their third wave in 4 months.

It's been 2 weeks since I use Confidor and it's seem to be working fine so far by the looks of the Epi. Pretty Lady and a Renanthera hybrid in bloom now. It's perhaps too early and I would have to observe over another 3-4 seasons.

I have noticed that Renanthera, Dendrobiums and Epidendiums are particularly susceptible to thrips. Anyway I am going to take the advise and rotate chemicals instead of using 1 type. BTW when I bought the confidor I also took opportunity to chat up the seller and learn from him that using too much carbendazim may result in smaller flowers. Will test this out by abstaining from this fungicide in the next 3-4 months during which is the season for the various "disposable" Phals and see if they give flowers of the "original size".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home