Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Wet wet wet

Can't recall another day which rained as much as last Sunday. Was supposed to feed my orchids but the look of the sky didn't seem right and so decided to do it in the evening instead. The rain subsequently washed all that away. By evening, my little rain meter overflowed which means it rained more than 150mm last Sunday. Good thing my place is not near a canal..Decided to catchup on the feeding and did so last evening with an extra dose of fungicide. And, it rained again today..sigh...hope the fungicide did enough damage on the fungi that they can't make a comeback anytime soon.

Called up a couple of Agriculture Supplies companies to enquire about Confidor. Heard that this is effective against my arch enemy - thrips. Was warn that this chemical is ex but I couldn't believe when I was quoted $110 excluding GST for a 500cc bottle. Dosage is approz 1cc per liter and that works out to be at least $1.6 each time I spray.

Later, my conversation with a business associate somehow touch on the topic organic farming and I was worried when the reference to organic means farm produce without chemicals. How wrong she is. Look, organic, just means no synthetic chemicals. There are pesticides that are organic - rotenne or derris for example. Though derived from a plant, it is no less toxic. Wonder how many people out there has the same idea...Well, ignorance is not all bliss.

Anyway, I'll go buy a bottle of Confidor and add it to my chemical warfare routine to increase the variety and hopefully the bugs will be too busy guessing what hit them and not to develop detox mechanisms..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home