Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It’s being a while

Has been busy and finally have an opportunity of a little “slack” while a waiting for new assignment to start to re-vitalize my plants.

My orchids had suffered since the rainy days towards the end of 2005 where the frequent rain puts off my chemical spraying schedule and job pressure plus the festivities of the new year has being pulling me awaying from my plants till late.

When I got more time recently, I began counting the casualties – 3 Phalenopsis, 2 Renantheras, 2 Dendrobiums and 3 Paphiopedilums. Mites were responsible for the demise of the Phaleanopsis and a combination of rot & fungus kills the rest. Despite the fact that mites prefer a dry environment, they seem to have adapted to the higher level of humidity here and flourish rapidly and caused lots of damages after the rain spell ends. When I returned to the garden, I had since rescued 2 Dendrobiums from mealy bugs (first time I see mealies at my orchids) and stopped 3 Phaleanopsis from dying. Now new leaves appearing after 6 weeks of vigilance and chemical warfare.

Now there 3 Dendrobium anosmum in bloom together with 2 Dendrobium Thai Jasmine, Brassavola cordata, Oncidium Golden Anniversary, Rhynchovanda Colmarie and Vanda lamellate. The latter 2 have been bloomed regularly.

Besides, both my Encyclia cordigera are spiking together with 2 Cycnodes Wine Delight, Oncidium Golden Anniversary, Rhynchorides Memoria Suranaree and 3 Rhynchostylis gigantea in spike.

With the rot and pests under control, I have to start to refresh the place. Just re-potted all the Spathoglottis with burnt soil plus a handful of compost and organic fertilizer last Saturday. Being experimenting with different mixes and this seems to wok best. If weather permits, will be re-arranging the Mokaras and Renantheras this weekend with new plant support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home